Updated: Mar 8
Many people wonder… “Who is she?”, “What does she like?”, “She knows so much about me, but I don’t know anything about her!” Although one of the major reasons for counseling is talking about yourself and your troubles, it is not all that it is. It is important to trust your therapist. It can be hard talking about myself sometimes, because I am trained to do the opposite, however, if you have a therapist that talks about themself more than you do…run!
So, in honor of getting to know me, I’ve put together a list of things I’d like to share for us to get to know each other a little better. Here it goes.....
1. I love anything shiny and sparkly! The more glitter and bling, the better! I’ve been told to tone it down a notch on a few occasions.
2. A word I can never seem to spell correctly is ‘coincidence.’ Each time I have to ask a friend or ask Siri because spell check doesn’t even know what I’m trying to say! (and yes I had to do exactly that to write this little fun fact).
3. I have a HUGE fear of horses. I’ve tried twice to face my fear and each time, well let’s just say it wasn’t good!
4. I have a strange love for drinking water, yes plain water! I’ve always loved water and it’s hard for me to understand people who don’t like it. Yummyyyy H20! (Here’s another list that includes water, go figure!…refer to my last blog for this joke!)
5. I’ve always wanted to work in this field and help people. I actually went through four different majors (fashion design, teaching, radiologic technology) and ended up back at my very first major I started out in….Child and Family Studies at ULL. Then I followed that up with my Master’s degree in Social Work at LSU.
6. I, more often than not, relate to my clients and completely understand where they are coming from. I become sad/depressed about certain life changes, I get super anxious when I get off schedule, I get agitated when the person in front of me didn’t put on their blinker, etc. Just because I do this for a living, doesn’t mean I’m not human and don’t have issues, quirks, or bad days.
7. I am a morning person! There is something so calming about the still air and knowing more than half of the town isn’t awake yet. I start my weekdays around 3:30-4:00 am!
8. I have two male dogs, Mario & Otto. Mario is a Maltese who is about 9 years old and weighs a whopping 8-10 lbs. Otto is my rescue pup I got about a year ago. He is a German Shepherd/Pitbull mix and is sweet as can be. They are both mama’s boys for sure!
9. I lived in Alaska for exactly 1 year, literally 365 days. Driving in the snow and black ice is no joke! In the winter, I cried almost every day driving to work. It was so scary! This southern girl had no clue! None.
10. I have extremely random, weird, off-the-wall, and vivid dreams. When I share my dreams with people they are either dying laughing or cringing.
11. I am a very sensitive person and even was so as a child. My mom tells me she would just have to give me a look and I would start balling. In addition to being sensitive, I am a huge empath, sometimes to a fault. I feel when people feel and hurt when people hurt. It’s a blessing and a curse.
12. I am a huge junk food eater. When I tell people this, I don’t think they truly quite get it. You would think I’m 8 years old. I’m talking Lunchables, pizza, nachos, cheese sticks, Taco Bell, McDonald’s, Chick fila, any fast food basically. Oh, and the ENTIRE chip isle at the grocery store. I can spend some doe at the gas station…snacks are my jam! (remember this is a judgment free zone!!)
13. In high school I ran over a brick mailbox in my neighborhood. I wasn’t drunk, doing my make-up, speeding, nothing. I just reached for my purse and decided to take the wheel with me. Did I mention the bricks went all over the neighbor’s house…which was the house of the principal of my high school?! Total embarrassment, guilt, shame, etc.
14. I have a weird obsession with cults. Not as in, I want to be in one, or start my own (yikes!), but I am so fascinated by how they run, the manipulation of others, and the psychology of it all.
15. I’m a sucker for those dog videos of the military people coming home after being away a long time. I cry so hard, you’d think I was in the video.
16. I hate anything related to teeth. Please don’t show me teeth falling out, your kids losing a tooth, etc. It makes me want to gag. I don’t know, it’s just something about it!
17. I’ve traveled to a few countries in my life and I would have to say Italy is my favorite. There is something very spiritual, calming and pure about the land. I am also part Italian (Sicilian, from what I understand), so I guess I also felt a special connection being there. My dream is to visit the part of Sicily where my family was from. I think there are still some Diesi’s there!
18. I have 2 major pet peeves: being late or being interrupted when speaking.
19. When I was in middle school I bought a hermit crab while on vacation at the beach, (as every kid does). Well this thing lived for 2 years! I took really good care of it, but after a while I was wondering why it hadn’t died yet. Who keeps a hermit crab alive that long??
20. I am a bubbly, outgoing and extroverted person, but yet I can spend 3 days by myself in my house and be totally fine with it. I love being around people but also desperately need my solitude at times, it’s a must for me.
So now that you know a little about me, I hope that you will gather that: we have more in common than you think, I am human, junk food is my guilty pleasure and if you see a trail of glitter… there’s a 99% chance, I was involved somehow.
So enough about me, tell me about you! If you’d like to make an appointment with me, click here.
I am looking forward to getting to know you!